Something that makes Union’s event programming so diverse is the freedom of student involvement. We’re given opportunities to utilize club resources including budgets and spaces to hold events that we think will benefit student life at Union. I think not making use of these opportunities is a sore misuse of time at Union. I’ve involved myself with a number of clubs because I’ve enjoyed being a part of planning events and setting them into motion, and the satisfaction of seeing other students enjoying the events is part of the appeal for me as well. That’s why I’ve involved myself so heavily in Arts House and WRUC, the radio club: these clubs and organizations have similar interests to me and I can work with other students to plan events that we think people will genuinely enjoy. The weekend of October 16th was a success.

12107094_10207916264287315_908657926552515409_n

Sound and fury signifying fun

A few months ago, my friend Mike asked me if I could help him set up a show for his band Scout Boys at Union in the Fall. Mike’s a Union and Arts House alum, and I had seen his band perform at Ozone House as well as at SUNY New Paltz a few years ago. I pitched the concert idea to the rest of Arts House and they agreed that it would be an excellent idea. We teamed up with WRUC and the Music Department to supply equipment and worked with Beuth House Council to get the funding necessary to bring the band to Union. As for Arts House, we coordinated the intricacies of the event and took care of advertisement. We printed flyers, made a Facebook event and promoted it on the Arts House Facebook page. I even managed to get a small article promoting the event published in the Concordiensis student paper the Thursday before the concert. Mike found a second band, Prince Daddy & The Hyena from Albany, to play the show, and we found a band of Union students to open the show. We even had money for pizza.

Even with a venue change the day of, over thirty students showed up to the first punk show at Union in over two years. Halfway through the show, even before it was over, I spoke with a few other people from Arts House, WRUC, Maker House, and Ozone House, and we all deemed the event a success and agreed to work together in trying to bring more bands to campus. Scout Boys and Prince Daddy & The Hyena brought their different blends of punk and got the crowd amped, jazzed, stoked and cheesed. There was even a mild push-pit. We welcomed people from outside of Union and left the concert as friends, even inviting some of them to our houses for post-concert celebrations. I left the show feeling accomplished, proud that the show had gone so well and hopeful that more things like this will happen in the future.