First of all, it’s Accepted Student Day season! I love being able to see high school students touring Union and trying to picture themselves here in the fall.  That led me to thinking about things that I wish I had known to do differently and things I wish I were better at.  So here are a few of things not to do, courtesy of me, the one who does them.

1. Don’t let your dishes pile up.  I don’t care if they’re just 7 Nalgene bottles you just haven’t rinsed out, do it ASAP or you will never do them.  I just finished dishes today that had been sitting for months.  Obviously nothing was moldy and nothing was actually food, but still, it’s disgusting and you should be better than me.  (If you are really horrible at adulting, help kill the earth and use disposable silverware and plates. But you won’t do that because you will feel guilty.)
  2. Don’t buy junk food.  I guess I should add to that, because of course I have chocolate in my
    O3 is a great splurge for a good organic salad or sandwich. (I'm sorry this is such a terrible picture.)

O3 is a great declining splurge for a good organic salad or sandwich. (I’m sorry this is such a terrible picture.)

room and I have no regrets.  But fall term was this great big freedom, and I bought a ton of ramen and macaroni and cheese and I ate it all the time.  PSA: The freshman 15 is real if you let it be.  So now I don’t buy full meals for the room (okay I sometimes buy Velveeta because it’s just too good), but instead I have lots of snacks that I won’t feel guilty about eating later, and I share a lot of it with friends so I end up not eating all of it in one sitting anyway.

3. Don’t shop online every week.  My bank account is not a happy place, because I am spineless when it comes to shopping.  Especially when I can do it from the comfort of my dorm room, specifically my bed.  I’m serious, it’s dangerous.  Fall term is the hardest.  I promise you will regret buying so much stuff when you try to bring it all home for the summer, and also the next time you open your banking app.
  4. Don’t forget to do your laundry.  I have a lot of clothes.  They barely fit in my closet and my drawers.  So, I let my laundry pile up until I realize I have nothing to wear.  Don’t be like me.  Try to do your laundry at least once a week, and pick a day that is less busy.  You won’t get lucky and find open washers on Sunday night, so don’t even try.
  5. Don’t make your life too much of a routine.  You will only be wishing for the weekend if you make your life a routine.  Obviously you have class at specific times every day, and yeah, go to class.  But change some things up!  Go to the gym at different times, go to events that seem interesting, do your laundry at a weird time, don’t just eat at West.  There are lots of ways to diversify your weeks, and your classes change every ten weeks anyway, but make your life more exciting and do different things!
  6. Don’t be afraid to do things.  Go to that club meeting that you signed up for during Club Expo but forgot about.  If you think it will be interesting, even if your friends don’t wanna go with you, GO.  I regret not getting started in clubs sooner. As someone who was in every club in high school, it was a huge sigh of relief when I got to Union because I felt like I was finally free of club obligations. But it actually ended up making me feel lazy. So join 1-3 clubs, it will make you a better person in the end, even if you have to drag yourself out of your comfy bed to go to the meetings.tumblr_mxewhgM1ei1rw80z2o3_250
  7. Don’t procrastinate.  Definitely not something that’s easy to change, I know.  But try, because everyone knows you’ll be better off in the long run and you’re pretty much guaranteed to be less stressed.
  8. Don’t hang out with people who bring you down.  Kind of a weird one, but really important.  Sometimes you can be great friends with people who just don’t help you reach your goals, and if you spend too much time with them, your goals will be sidelined.  It’s a pretty vague statement, but just remember that you need to stay true to yourself and find people who compliment that.  They’re definitely out there.
  9. Don’t forget Union College is great.  Okay, I never really forgot this one.  But sometimes there will be days on campus when you are so overwhelmed with stuff to do that you wish you could just be anywhere else.  We all have those days, sometimes they’re even weeks.  But the tough times always end, and you can always take sunset #nottshots to make you feel better.  Union is here for you, even when you are drowning in commitments, so don’t be afraid to ask for help, and don’t be afraid to take selfies with your Starbucks cup, because it’s therapeutic.