I’m about to graduation…. gulp.  On top of school, work, social life, and sleep is the exciting/stressful process of figuring out what to do next.  If you remember (or are currently experiencing) the overwhelming “where-are-you-going-to-college?” question that comes around winter/spring of senior year of high school, this is that on steroids.  As a senior in college, everyone–professors, bosses, peers, parents, peers’ parents–will ask you what your plans are for next year.  And when you don’t know, that’s a stressful question.

Luckily, here’s a scared and stressed little English major to help ya’ out with the question.  I, like many of my peers, do not yet know what next year will bring.  What I do know is that I’m trying my darndest, scouring online and campus resources for anything I can get.  And now here’s what I’ve got to say.

First, you got to set up a LinkedIn account.  It’s like Facebook for work and every young professional has one.  Pimp out your profile with the most appropriate positions and self-inflating descriptions, follow some companies and NGOs, connect with some peers and alumni, and then get searching.  LinkedIn has a pretty good system to comb for jobs–and you can even save them so you can find them again later (thank God).

The job search works well when you’re checking different platforms, too.  In addition to LinkedIn, browse Indeed, Glassdoor, or even Velvet Jobs.  Each of them has great customizable search settings that help wade through everything that you’re not interested in/not qualified for/not willing to move for.

All of that is pretty intuitive, and as we’re the generation of social media and technology, you’re probably already comfortable with this kind of thing.  What seems a bit more questionably acceptable when you’re just learning professional etiquette is reaching out to companies even when they don’t have any jobs posted.  It’s scary, it’s uncomfortable, but apparently (according to career counselors, parents, older siblings, and recent alums), it’s totally normal.  For example, I’m looking for jobs in copywriting.  There’s only so many posted in places where I want to work, so I googled pretty much every advertising company in a city and emailed them all–whether or not they had appropriate positions available or not–that I was interested in working for them and to keep my resume on file should a position become available.

Searching for a job is a full-time job.  Finding the time to find a job is just as hard as it seems–but I’m going to keep on at it and hopefully something pans out.  Fingers crossed!