Today’s featured blogger is Union alumna Ariella Honig ’17. Ariella double majored in psychology and theater during her time at Union!

As a recent graduate of Union College I’d like to think that I am very well versed in things to do in Schenectady. I’ve compiled a list of all of my favorite activities! Check them out!

Seeing Shows At Proctors Theatre (432 State Street)

Hands down my favorite thing to do in Schenectady is to see shows at Proctors. I love theatre, and having Proctors so close and accessible was one of the best parts of my Union experience. I have seen everything from Cabaret to The Lion King to The Book of Mormon. Proctors always will have a show you want to see. Every year the season of shows gets better and better. 

Playing Thursday Night Trivia at Pinhead Susan’s (38-40 Broadway)

One of my favorite Schenectady finds is Pinhead Susan’s Trivia every Thursday night. Rally up a group of your friends and you’ll have a blast. Enjoy a burger or entree and answer some tough questions. It’s definitely the most fun and challenging trivia in the area.

Walking Around The Sunday Greenmarket (Jay Street)

The Greenmarket on Jay Street always made my Sundays the best days. Grab anything from a beautiful head of lettuce from Lovin’ Mama’s Farm to Buddha Pesto (a personal and Union favorite) to delicious cookies from the Electric Cookie Jar. The vendors are all so nice and everything is so tasty!

$5 Movies at Bowtie (400 State Street)

One of the best parts about being a Union student is getting $5 tickets to Bowtie movie theatre through the Student Activities office. Grab a friend and enjoy a movie any day or night of the week!

Live Music at Arthur’s Market (35 N Ferry St.)

Love to listen to live music? Want to play at an open mic night? Arthur’s is the place for you! Located in the beautiful Stockade Historic District of Schenectady, Arthur’s is truly a hidden jem. Go any night of the week to hear some awesome live music and you may even catch the Union College Jazz Band if you’re lucky. Bonus: The food is also great here as well!

Dollar Bowling on Monday and Thursday Nights at Boulevard Bowl (1315 Erie Boulevard)

I’m honestly not sure it gets much better than this! A dollar for shoes and a dollar per game. Play as many rounds as you want. If you’re hungry, pizza slices are only a dollar too! Dollar bowling is frequented by many Union students on Monday and Thursday nights at Boulevard Bowl. Believe me, it’s tons of fun!

Improv with Mop & Bucket Company (10 North Jay Street)

Are you a fan of improv or need a good laugh? Then Mop Co. is the place for you! Whether you’re an improv veteran or just looking for entertainment, be sure to check out their live shows. I’ve always enjoyed a good laugh there.

Walks in the Stockade and Riverside Park

Riverside Park is my favorite hidden spot in Schenectady. Enjoy a walk or run in the park. It’s also a nice place just to sit and relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery!