RSSI Testing

I conducted some basic RSSI testing at Maalwyk park. Managed to get two useful positions before the weather didn’t cooperate anymore.

This was my initial testing plan:

I started with the far right corner, and it promptly started to rain so I only managed to get the far right point. Both points are ~35 degrees off the centerline and ~800 feet away from the receiver.

I conducted 6 tests in total. One with no transmitter, one with the transmitter one yard in front of the receiver, both run for 45 seconds, and two for each side of the field with the antennas at 60 and 100 degrees, run for 2 minutes. The results are below:

The data, taken with a grain of salt as I don’t have enough points to make a real conclusion, shows that in general there is a detectable difference between having a transmitter on the different angles from the receiver, and the difference is larger with a larger angle between the antennas. This isn’t really a useful conclusion, but the test itself proves that I can collect useful data and it can be done fairly quickly.

Parts Arrival:

Everything but the FrSky DJT module has arrived.

I can now test the video relay in its entirety as well as start developing on the XBee radios.