Pioneers and its Simplicity

The novel The Pioneers by author James Fenimore Cooper, takes the reader into the lives of those who are brave enough to begin lives in the vastly large frontier of America at that time.  The novel delves deep into the difficulties that occur in the day-to-day lives of everyone living around Templeton.  Each character has their own story and purpose, but what is clearly shown is the hard work each of them must put in so that they may provide for themselves and survive.

One of the things that jumped out to me most was the simplicity in the lives of those living in Templeton.  For example, when Elizabeth is being attacked by a mountain lion, she is saved by Leather Stocking as he kills the beast with two shots.  Previously, Leather Stocking had killed a deer as well, which is illegal as it was not hunting season yet.  Judge Marmaduke is at a crossroads because Leather Stocking saved his daughters life, but he did also break the law.  In modern times this could cause a different sentencing, but back then things were much simpler.  Leather Stocking committed the crime so he must take the punishment, and he has no issue with that.  Back then rules were rules, and if you broke them you were obligated to take on the punishment.  This sense of honor is something that you see throughout the characters in the story, and speaks greatly to the temperament of early pioneers in America.

6 thoughts on “Pioneers and its Simplicity

1. I don’t know if it is quite that simple. For Natty, perhaps, but I see Judge Temple as a rather complex character. He engages in reckless behavior, like hunting the pigeons, which he does seem to regret, but he also works hard to promote a certain level of conservation. In terms of work ethic and honor, that is something that is really missing in Dick Jones. He is always looking to exploit resources and becomes sheriff not because of merit, but because of connections, which is a position he abuses.

2. Before the law system was established, people were living in the woods, and decide their behavior based on their own self-discipline and virtue. After they had the law system and the regulations of hunting season, I wonder if that was a development or retrogress in terms of civilization.

3. Before the establishment of civilization and laws life was straightforward. If you broke the rules you would be punished. Nowadays everything has become so complicated. For me, Natty Bumppo depicts the ideal life style of simplicity. Although it is slightly uncivilized he is able to live his life with out any constraints.

4. I noticed the idea of honor show up a lot throughout the book such as during the first chapter. Much of the discussion of who was to get the dear was revolving around the honor of who shot it. Also I think part of the reason why there was so little conflict regarding sentencing and punishment was just so that the author could keep the story on track.

5. Natty Bumppo thought that the laws and regulations were questionable, and that life in the wild was much simpler. He would hunt for himself, but be conscious of resource depletion. He may have shot the deer, but he only would have done so for hunger. He had good morals and could tell whether he had done something wrong, he thought he was wrongly punished for shooting the deer.

6. Although Leather Stocking broke the law, I do not think he should have been punished. He should’ve been rewarded for saving Judge Marmaduke’s daughter, Elizabeth, from the mountain lion. Leather Stocking did not know that it was not hunting season and had a great respect for nature. This conflict between him and the judge demonstrated the infringement of civilization and authority on the Indians.