Informative Article – Ding Cong

As I was researching this week I came across an academic article by Chang-Tai Hung called ‘The Fuming Image: Cartoons and Public Opinion in Late Republican China, 1945 to 1949’. Hung is a professor at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and his article talked about several political artists in the late 1940s, including Ding Cong. Throughout the article, Hung highlighted each artist’s techniques, views, and opinions of Chinese politics, and how they combined to create strong pieces of art that served a purpose. He described that Ding’s strongest attribute was his ability to play on the contradictions of the Chinese government, and his drawings show the juxtaposition of rich and poor, oppressors and oppressed, and power abuser and victim. This article will help me understand the nuances of Ding’s works during the peak of his career, before he was censored and eventually exiled. Understanding what fuels an artist’s passion, in Ding’s case to draw these significant cartoons for the common people, is always helpful in learning about an artist.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/179329.pdf?casa_token=-IYwS9yYKmcAAAAA:VDWkuBSVjDx6_isrrM3USA5OIobAfkUacfocgoywwdC3FTZSMV9Rk3pFtVRBumKnDECTWtiJtONn6CVtv8pBLQAt70ltcRc1xsOBRyQo3gii5qXNoYc

Hung, Chang-Tai. “The fuming image: Cartoons and public opinion in late republican China, 1945 to 1949.” Comparative Studies in Society and History 36, no. 1 (1994): 122-145.

One thought on “Informative Article – Ding Cong

1. Wow dan thanks for doing this writeup as it made me reflect on how I should highlight the struggles that my artist Ai Weiwei and his family had with the chinese government in his youth and how this could have impacted his art growing up.