We Have Met the Enemy and They Is Us

“Watergate” has become a pejorative; political scandals which followed Watergate, regardless of their severity, are commonly suffixed with “-gate” to demonstrate their perversity.  We’ve had “travel-gate” “billy-gate” “bridge-gate” “Contra-gate” and, of course, “Russia-gate”; and these are just a selection, the list is long.  But Watergate is the standard by which all subsequent “-gates” are measured.  It represented the epitome of political evil and political efforts to undermine the American democratic system.  Richard Nixon and his supporters (and “plumbers”) threatened not only the Constitution and Rule of Law, but the political foundations of the nation.  Resignation from the Presidency was small price to him to pay for forcing the nation to endure our “long national nightmare.”

Thomas Mallon’s Watergate: A Novel reveals the full collection of scoundrels and others (and some imagined extras) who were involved or connected to the scandal.  However, what was most revealing to me was the utter normality (dare I say, banality) of most of their lives.   Yes, there was a president, several cabinet members, judges, congressmen, advisors, protectors, wives, and lovers; however, they were each in their own way leading “lives of quiet desperation.”  They were not planning the destruction of the United States, (although yes, they did commit crimes) but their actions were primarily chosen as the lesser of two evils – what can I do to get through today; tomorrow will be better.   I say this is not to excuse or condone.  However, Mallon’s telling, I think, reminds us that as many statesmen/women have noted in the past, our Republic is less likely to be destroyed from those outside our borders; we will destroy it ourselves.