Barbara’s House

As we travel around Dulac there seems to be substantially more damage and less recovery work than in New Orleans. I am currently working in Barbara’s house in Dulac. She has a great personality and is very friendly and kind to all of us working in her home. We first replaced her toilet and part of her bathroom floor. We also put up siding and trim throughout her living room. After having several conversations with Barbara, I am reminded of several class readings depicting southern Louisiana residents. She has a positive outlook on life and is so grateful for our help. When she spoke of previous hurricanes and the impact they had on her life, she used her stories as an educational tool to stress what she considers the important part of life. This was very refreshing because she did not dwell on what she had lost, but instead looked forward to what she still have to experience in life, such as watching her grandchildren grow up. She constantly spoke about her family and I can tell they mean a lot to her. Yesterday, I was lucky enough to meet two of her grandsons. The grandsons came over to help their grandmother and keep her company during the day. They seemed to have a special bond with her and the ease of conversation that flowed throughout the day exemplified their strong sense of family structure. I am looking forward to getting to know Barbara even better as we continue to work on her home.