The 2010 Adventure Begins!!

This marks the beginning of the new class’ adventure doing community service in Louisiana.  We fly out on Sunday morning, hopefully with good weather and on-time flights.  Everyone will be adding their first thoughts tonight and tomorrow as we anticipate these next two weeks.  Let’s do it!!!

[The banner photo is sunset on the bayou at Dulac, LA. Such beauty!]

One thought on “The 2010 Adventure Begins!!”

1. I am so grateful for this opportunity to go down to Louisiana and help out. This trip means a lot to me. Initially, my feelings towards this trip regarded my family roots in Louisiana, however, these past few days have broadened my feelings in a sense that I am an individual of this Earth, and the people affected by various acts of both nature and mankind, are human. The films we have viewed in class have really touched me, especially “Trouble in Water.” Visuals have such a deep impact on me, and although your own imagination can speculate, the closest thing to the truth behind what has happened down there, are the individuals who went and are going through it. I am excited to interact with these people, however with this excitement comes some anxiety and nerves. I have had a fortunate life and can never imagine the difficulties these people have faced. Connection is extremely important when it comes to human interaction, and this is what will be challenging, especially when the human interaction is based on the content of suffrage and loss, however hope and empathy are what can be shared.

I feel so privileged to be a part of this group. Already, I feel a great connection between all of us. It is so nice to be surrounded by caring and willing individuals, and I’m excited to share what we have to offer, as not only individuals, but as a group down south. Never did I think a random group of Union College students would be gathering in my Aunt and Uncle’s place in the French Quarter, and I am beyond excited to share their wonderful southern personalities with everyone. This random group of Union College students doesn’t seem so random anymore.