Mixed Feelings, but mostly anxious…

During the past couple days, preparing for this trip, I have had a mixture of feelings. I am anxious to experience life in a new culture and to try and better understand the situation of the residents of New Orleans face from day to day. I believe it will be invaluable to gain a first hand perspective of this “man-made” disaster rather then rely on what the media portrays. I really want to know how people are coping with the way Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill has affected their lives and as an econ major it will be especially important for me to learn about the economic situation of New Orleans. This trip is directly relevant to my thesis, “What is the Effect of Macro Economic Conditions on Happiness,” which deals with changing unemployment rates and the effect it has on a person’s satifaction of life. I believe that it is important to keep in mind that the “Growth Machine” can have real long-term negative effects on individual citizens not just economically, but in terms happiness or health status. These non-economic “costs” are not so easily quantifiable and may be underestimated or even neglected when public projects are constructed. I hope to gain a better understanding of both the economic and social issues facing New Orleans. My hope, is that after my trip, I will leave knowing I made an impact on this community, share my experience with others, present an accurate portrayal of what life is really like for those affected by Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil and be able to purpose furture actions that can be taken to further aid the victims.

Since I started the process of signing up for this mini term I was excited to have the opportunity to contribute positively to the victims of Hurricane; this feeling has not changed, but has grown in the past couple days as we have discussed the various issues that effect New Orleanians’ daily lives. Not only am I excited to help rebuild structures and contribute to the urban farming, but I also want to interact with the residents of New Orleans and really listen to their story if they are willing to share with me. There is no way in which I can relate to what many of them have gone through, but by listening, hopefully I can have some positive impact.

My other feeling before we leave is nervousness. In all of my excitement, I know I will have to be careful to show sensitivity and to display empathy when conversing with residents of New Orleans.

Even though we all are going to be approaching this trip from different prespectives and backgrounds; I am happy to know that we all share a strong desire to volunteer. I am very proud to call myself a part of the Louisiana Mini Term 2010 group. I can’t wait to get to work!

~James