Visual Culture in Communist China

observing, analyzing & re-presenting the art of twentieth century china

| 1 Comment

Image result for Tang Yin art

Tang Yin, Whispering Pines on the Mountain Path

Image result for Pu ru pines

Pu Ru, Scholar Under a Pine Tree

My exhibition will showcase landscape paintings of Pu Ru. Pu Ru was one of the few artists who continued to work in traditional Chinese style in the 20th century. He was a praised painter and calligrapher. He was heavily inspired by Ming dynasty artists such as Tang Yin. After the Manchu dynasty was overthrown, the artist left the Beijing palace and moved to the monastery in the mountains, where he spent fifteen years studying. Later he fled China and moved to Taiwan, where he continued his artistic and academic work. However, he often remembered the Western Hills monastery with nostalgia and later in his life repeatedly referred to it in his paintings. In my exhibition, I want to explore the relationship between traditional Chinese art and how Pu Ru interprets it. I want to showcase different and similarities, as well as works that served as an inspiration to the artist.

One Comment

1. This sounds like you have a lot of content here to expand on. I feel it would be of great importance to dig deep on how Pu Ru interprets traditional Chinese art. Maybe go outside of just interpretation and provide the different techniques used in traditional Chinese art with Pu Ru. I feel your post is more a bibliography of Pu Ru than the theme itself. Maybe develop your theme further to address exactly what is trying to be accomplished. Overall Pu Ru seems to be a very interesting person and I am excited to see what you find!