The Big Problem

The problem with todays society is that we are too quick to hear of problems that do not directly affect us and dismiss them. It is not anyones fault, it is just how the human brain works. It is in our genetics to be a little selfish. However with that being said, hearing about all the issues in the world about water from everyones presentation in class made me think. Why don’t we (Union College) acknowledge the ongoing water issues that concern other regions of the world?

Union College is not short of water by any means. In every building there is cold filtered water ready to be used. Also in the bookstore there are at least 5 different types of water being sold to students. So, getting water is no problem for Union College, but at the same time is exactly the problem. People are never thinking of ways to get more water, or getting cleaner water. To quote Where the Water Goes by David Owen, he states, “All I knew was that every time I attached a hose to a spigot and turned it on, I could run it full force until it was time to go home” (1). This is relatable because water is so assessable. Why would we fix something that is not broken? However, as humans we need to dig deeper and not think just about ourselves and think about the people less fortunate than us. We have a duty to use our resources and help others that can not help themselves. Make a movement bigger than ourselves. It starts with the student body leaders and how they can get all students on board in helping places that do not have water like us.

17 thoughts on “The Big Problem

1. I think that we, the members of Union College, do not acknowledge water crises in other countries as much as we should because they simply do not affect us and our daily lives. Upon hearing about other water crises in countries such as Bangladesh, it causes us to reflect on our ability to obtain water so easily. We can simply walk about thirty seconds to the nearest water fountain, whereas some families in Bangladesh must walk many miles and for hours each day solely to obtain water. Many of us fail to realize how grateful we should be for the situation we have here at Union College. I agree with you that we as students have the ability to make a difference in other countries, even if that means raising awareness or raising money for organizations that work on addressing the issue in these countries. One organization that I discovered was WaterAid, which works in 28 countries to provide clean water, toilets, and hygiene. Students in a club could raise money for this organization and donate the profits so that people who are less fortunate than us have the ability to experience these aspects of life that are so natural to us. Furthermore, we differ in our problems here in the United States than most developing countries in that we have overused water, while other countries do not have sufficient access. According to David Owen, “Lake Mead is the direct
    source of most of Las Vegas’s water, and it has been a powerful symbol of overuse because it currently contains less than forty per cent as much water as it did in 1998, the last time it was close to full” (2). Thus, many areas in the United States have experienced threats to their water sources due to the accessibility of water. In the future, we must take action to reduce our daily water intake or else we could be digging ourselves into a deeper hole that we cannot escape.

2. I disagree with your statement about people needing to be more generous of others because there are huge scale of generosity. There are so many factors that play into someone’s will to make donations that it is impossible to characterize people as selfish. I agree with your claim that people need to help those with water crisis, but I believe they don’t contribute because they are not knowledgable about water crices around the world.

In “Where is Water Goes” the narrator describes all of the ways he used to abuse water before he was knowledgable on its scarcity. He states, “I agree with your claim that people need to help those with water crisis, but I believe they don’t contribute because they are not knowledgable about water crices around the world.”(Owen, 1). The narrator clarifies for the reader that he is now willing to make a sacrifice in his life to help out with the water crisis because he self-informed himself on the topic. Therefore, I believe that if the public was more informed of the water crisis of a particular area that there would be increased generosity in people willing to help out areas of with crises around the world.

3. I often acquire a huge number of activities that are impossible to do on my own due to irrational use of time and the habit of doing things at the last minute. In such circumstances, I’ve discovered a solution that works for me. The most important thing to me is that I can write my thesis paper at any moment and receive a prompt response and assistance.

4. There is cold, filtered water available for use in every building. Additionally, students can buy at least five different kinds of water in the bookstore.
    Super Bowl Coverage

5. So, getting water is no problem for Union College, but at the same time is exactly the problem. People are never thinking of ways to get more water, or getting cleaner water.

6. So, getting water is no problem for Union College, but at the same time is exactly the problem. People are never thinking of ways to get more water, or getting cleaner water. The News Titan

7. So, getting water is no problem for Union College, but at the same time is exactly the problem. People are never thinking of ways to get more water, or getting cleaner water. The News Titan