On numbers, units and measurement related to carbon dioxide/ human society/economics

Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a gas and is an important greenhouse gas because it absorbs a lot of infrared wavelengths. Carbon dioxide is a gas at standard temperature and pressure, which exist in the Earth’s atmosphere. Co2 is important for our atmosphere because animals exhale CO2 while plants use it in photosynthesis. Carbon dioxide is a standard unit of measurement for CO2 that is usually defined by each application. for example, “climate change and ocean acidification scientists use micro atmospheres as a standard unit of measure, unlike the aquaculture industry, which typically uses milligrams per liter”. Generally, Carbon dioxide is measured with gas sensors specifically made to measure the concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the air. Sensors like Electrochemical sensors, Non-Dispersive Infrared (NDIR) Sensors, and Metal Oxide Semiconductor (MOS) Sensors.  Another exemplary sensor measurement application is aquaculture,” it is common to see units of dissolved CO2, including mg/L (also referred to as ppm, parts per million by mass)”.

Carbon dioxide and climate change have a large relation to human society.  People of color living in undeveloped communities are more vulnerable to the increase in pollution and the rapid changes occurring to the environment as a result of climate change. These results consist of an increase in health effects, the occurrence of unpredicted natural disasters, and the limitation of food supplies. It is relevant to acknowledge that the poor and people of color are facing a deficit of resources due to social standards and political regulations. It is noted that  “80,000 deaths worldwide each year resulted from natural disasters, and about 95 percent are in poor countries” (The Center for Progressive Reform, CPR Perspective: International Environmental Justice and Climate Change 2019). In these underdeveloped countries,  uncontrollable weather conditions that can occur are heavy toxic rain, floods, and hurricanes. These unpredicted natural disasters can result in more unrepaired damages in these underdeveloped communities that can eventually lead to an increase in mortality rates. Moreover, polluting the environment has generated weather changes that are problematic to the dismantling of crops, homes, and infrastructure. These types of prolonged effects in underdeveloped communities that heavily depend on natural resources as a way of life can be detrimental to people of color, who have been marginalized by the privileged because of their socioeconomic status.

citation:

Farber, Daniel. “PIPELINES, EMISSIONS, AND FERC.” Center for Progressive Reform, http://progressivereform.org/our-work/energy-environment/tags/environmental-justice/.

Technical Note 1.1: Dissolved CO2 and Units of Measurement, https://immediac.blob.core.windows.net/prooceanus/pdf/PSI%20Technical%20Note%201.1%20-%20Dissolved%20CO2%20and%20Units%20of%20Measurement%202019.pdf.

10 thoughts on “On numbers, units and measurement related to carbon dioxide/ human society/economics

1. Good information on Carbon Dioxide. I got one suggestion for you. Anytime you write a paper or type up an assignment go to Grammarly.com. Grammarly is an awesome app and website that checks your spelling, punctuation, and grammar for you. You can use it for free. The only reason why I’m suggesting this is that you left out one letter in one word.

2. I agree with Matthew there’s a lot of good info here on CO2. I also think you bring up an interesting argument when it comes to the intersection between climate change and environmental discrimination. When you say, that POC “heavily depends on natural resources as a way of life,” I’m curious to understand what you mean by this? What are the prolonged effects? How might you take steps to solve the issue in your own community?

3. Hi everyone, I would like to recommend a site that helped me at the last minute. I am already a 3rd year student, and I am learning thanks to the service https://www.lorservice.com/.If not for them I would not have had time to write a personal statement to the university. I contacted the guys, they quickly counselled me and made my personal statement very quickly. I am very grateful to them for this and I recommend you to use their services too, because they do not end with the personal statement.

4. This article serves as a reminder of the urgent need to address climate change and its effects on marginalized communities. It’s crucial for us to work towards a more sustainable future, ensuring that everyone, regardless of their socioeconomic status, can thrive in a healthy environment.khalidelarbi———-business for sale

5. Mental health therapy, often simply referred to as therapy, is a collaborative process between a trained therapist and an individual seeking support to improve their emotional well-being and overall mental health. Therapists utilize various techniques and approaches tailored to the individual’s needs, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, psychoanalysis, or mindfulness-based interventions.
    Visit: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vendetti+Wellness+Group,+Framingham/@42.282971,-71.40527,16z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x89e389f415b2db1f:0xb22fe66aa1d03542!8m2!3d42.2829714!4d-71.4052697!16s%2Fg%2F11pvmy1tj5?hl=en&entry=ttu