Earth Day Origins

The holiday of Earth Day was inspired by a 1969 oil spill in Santa Barbara, California. In that catastrophic and well-known oil spill, between 3.5 and 4.2 million gallons of crude oil were spilled into the Santa Barbara Channel. The very next year, the first Earth Day was hosted to raise awareness for this event, as well as spark more support and visibility for the growing environmentalism movement.

Since that initial oil spill, between 1969 and 2017 there have been 44 more oil spills in North America, every single one of them over more than 420,000 gallons, according to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration. That means that since the initial 3.5-4.2 million gallon oil spill that caused Earth Day, at the very least 18.48 million gallons of oil have been spilled, and that’s a low estimate that excludes the past 5 years, which have seen a large uptick in oil spills.

Hopefully, we can muster up a renewed interest in taking down oil companies within the environmentalism movement, and ensure a healthy future for the ocean for us and the generations that come after us.

Sources:

The History of Earth Day

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/california-spill-52-years-historic-oil-disaster-80400250

https://response.restoration.noaa.gov/oil-and-chemical-spills/oil-spills/largest-oil-spills-affecting-us-waters-1969.html

9 thoughts on “Earth Day Origins

1. I really enjoyed reading this. I like the approach you took to this blog theme. I didn’t know how detrimental oil companies have been. Thank you for the insight into how earth day came to be.

2. Oil spills are probably the most visible argument against the oil industry. It doesn’t look good when animals and other organisms are covered in black goo.

3. The article concludes by expressing hope for a renewed interest in combating oil companies within the environmentalism movement and ensuring a healthy future for the ocean, not only for our generation but also for those to come. This thought-provoking piece encourages readers to reflect on the significance of Earth Day and the ongoing challenges faced by our planet due to human activities.khalidelarbi———-business for sale

4. Additionally, all Chase Bank Hours used to operate according to their regular bank hours. We will discuss Chase Bank’s working hours, opening and closing times, Saturday and Sunday hours, and holidays in this post.

5. The article is https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/exploring-120-best-argumentative-essay-topics-students-mo2mf that I discovered. Extremely practical. It provides a wide selection of subjects to suit a variety of academic levels and interests. Selecting the best subjects for argumentative essays can be difficult for students, but this article makes the process much simpler by offering concise, thought-provoking suggestions. I like how the subjects are arranged into categories since it makes it easier to locate a topic that fits both my academic requirements and my hobbies. Anyone who wants to create a strong persuasive essay should study this material.