Caring for Individuals with IDD

Caring for diverse patient populations presents a lot of new and unique challenges for patients, providers, and family members. This week, I’m going to focus on one patient population in particular: Individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).

History of the Best Buddies Keith Haring Logo - Best Buddies ...Throughout college, I have volunteered with and have been a peer mentor for the Best Buddies chapter at Union College. Best Buddies is a non-profit organization that strives to support individuals with IDD by providing them with one-on-one friendships, employment opportunities, development of leadership and communication skills, and self-advocacy skills. Being a part of Best Buddies has been a very rewarding experience, and has also shown me some of the challenges that individuals with IDD face everyday.

Challenges

One of the challenges that individuals with IDD face is communication. Often times, they can have difficulty communicating effectively with others, which can prevent them from being able to express their thoughts and feelings to family members, friends, or even healthcare providers.

Integration into society and employment are also two major challenges (1). Many individuals do not have a post-secondary education and aren’t able to access resources that would allow them to obtain internships or other experiences. Additionally, the stigma that exists surrounding intellectual and developmental disabilities can lead to social isolation and negative perceptions of hiring individuals with IDD.

These challenges and more combine to leave individuals with IDD with increased mental health problems, little to no income, and lower levels of independence (1).

Role of Caregivers & Healthcare for Individuals with IDD

Many individuals with IDD live with their families and rely on them for financial and emotional support, as well as advocacy. However, there is not always enough support for families that are caring for individuals with IDD. Many families are expected to provide lifelong care, but this is not feasible in some situations and extra support is needed (2). In Albany, St. Margaret’s Center provides 24-hour care and support for children with disabilities. This includes pediatric care, group activities, and helping families navigate insurance and other services. This is a very helpful option for families of younger children with disabilities, and it would be great to see similar resources for adults with IDD that face some of the same challenges.

In healthcare settings, the challenges faced by individuals with IDD can lead to poorer health outcomes, even with advocacy by caregivers. Individuals with IDD face higher rates of co-morbidities and chronic conditions, as well as challenges in understanding their own healthcare issues and the services that are available to them. A lot of providers don’t receive enough training and don’t have experience in communicating with and caring for individuals with IDD (3).

Resources

Some additional resources for individuals with IDD, such as this Early Intervention Program in New York, are listed here.

While there are a lot of improvements to be made in supporting individuals with IDD and their caregivers, we can start by understanding the unique challenges this population faces and how these challenges create barriers to integration and care.

215 thoughts on “Caring for Individuals with IDD

  1. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. 토토사이트, But by chance looking at your post solved my problem! I will leave my blog, so when would you like to visit it?!

    Reply

  2. This is so awesome! I want more people to know the excellence of your writing. It’s really new and innovative content. Your view is similar to mine on this topic. I think my writing will help you, too. 토토사이트

    Reply

  3. สูตรบาคาร่าเล่นยังไงให้ได้กำไร ขาดทุนต่ำที่สุด สูตรสำหรับคนจะมั่งมีห้ามพลาด
    บาคาร่าเป็นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ที่ได้รับความพึงพอใจแล้วก็มีผู้เข้ามาเล่นเยอะๆ ด้วยเหตุว่ามีแบบ วิธี และก็สูตรซึ่งสามารถเข้ามาช่วยพินิจพิจารณาเพิ่มช่องทางสำหรับการพนันชนะเพิ่มขึ้นเรื่อยๆ รวมทั้งวันนี้พวกเราจะพามาชี้แนะสูตรบาคาร่าเล่นยังไงให้ได้กำไร ขาดทุนน้อย สูตรสำหรับคนจะมั่งคั่ง ต้องการมั่งมีห้ามพลาดจะเป็นเยี่ยงไรบ้างไปดูกันเลย

    กรรมวิธีเล่นบาคาร่าพื้นฐานที่ควรจะทราบ
    สำหรับวิธีการเล่นบาคาร่าให้กระทำไปสู่เว็บไซต์เลือกชนิดของเกม อาทิเช่นบาคาร่า แล้วกระทำการเล่นห้องพนัน แล้วก็เข้าสู้เข้าพนันโดยคุณจะเจอกับดีลเลอร์จะเป็นคนแจกไพ่ให้กับผู้เล่น ซึ่งจะทำแจกไพ่ให้กับผู้เล่น 2 ใบแรก และก็กระทำการนับแต้มไพ่ที่ได้รับผู้เล่นผู้ใดกันแน่มีแต้มสูงขึ้นยิ่งกว่าแม้กระนั้นไม่เกิน 9 แต้ม กำลังจะถึงว่าเป็นข้างชนะ แม้กระนั้นถ้ายังไม่มีผู้ใดชนะจะกระทำการแจกไพ่ใบที่ 3 ถัดไปนั่นเอง

    สูตรบาคาร่าเล่นเช่นไร สูตรสำหรับคนจะร่ำรวย
    สำหรับสูตรบาคาร่าที่หลายท่านนิยมเอาไปใช้มีสูตรการเล่นดังต่อไปนี้
    1. สูตรแทง 1324 บาคาร่า
    สำหรับสูตรนี้จะกระทำจ่ายเงินพนันตามสูตร ซึ่งเป็นสูตรที่หลายท่านประยุกต์ใช้ แล้วก็เห็นผลกันเยอะๆ สามารถชี้แจงได้ดังต่อไปนี้
    • รอบอันดับแรก กระทำวางเดิมพัน 1 หน่วย
    • ถ้าเกิดกระทำการพนันชนะรอบอันดับแรก ให้กระทำวางเดิมพันในรอบลำดับที่สองเป็น3 หน่วย
    • แม้ทำพนันชนะรอบลำดับที่สอง ให้ทำวางเดิมพันในรอบลำดับที่สามหมายถึง2 หน่วย
    • ถ้าหากกระทำพนันชนะรอบลำดับที่สาม ให้ทำวางเดิมพันในรอบลำดับที่สี่เป็น4 หน่วย
    โดยสูตรกลุ่มนี้จะกระทำการแทงตามสูตร แม้กระทำการพนันชนะกระทั่งครบให้กลับมาเริ่มต้นใหม่ แม้กระนั้นหากว่ากระทำการพนันแพ้ระหว่างสูตรให้กลับไปเริ่มต้นใหม่ด้วยเหมือนกัน
    2. สูตรคงเดิม
    สำหรับสูตรนี้จะเป็นการวางเดิมพันแบบคงเดิม ซึ่งโดยมากแล้วจะกระทำยึดหลักราวๆ 5 ตา และก็จากการทดสอบก็ทำให้รู้ว่าสูตรนี้พนันเช่นไรก็ได้ผลกำไรกลับมาแน่ๆ สามารถชี้แจงได้ดังต่อไปนี้
    • รอบที่ 1 แทง 100 แพ้
    • รอบที่ 2 แทง 100 ชนะ
    • รอบที่ 3 แทง 100 ชนะ
    • รอบที่ 4 แทง 100 แพ้
    • รอบที่ 5 แทง 100 ชนะ
    จากการสำรวจสถิติสูตรนี้ชอบทำการพนันชนะในตาละ 3-4 รอบ รวมทั้งทำให้ใช้เงินทุนเพียงแค่ไม่กี่บาทก็สามารถคว้าเงินกลับมาคืนได้โดยทันที

    คืออะไรบ้างกับสูตรบาคาร่า สูตรสำหรับคนจะร่ำรวยที่มีเงินลงทุนไม่กี่บาทก็สามารถกระทำพนันคาสิโน และก็คว้าเงินรางวัลจากการเล่นเกมนี้ได้แบบง่ายๆอีกด้วย การันตีว่าถ้าหากได้เอาไปใช้ทดสอบการใช้คุณควรจะมีเงินโตจากบาคาร่าอย่างแน่แท้

    Reply

  4. มีครบทุกวงจรให้เลือกเล่นเกมต่างๆและยังทันสมัยบาคาร่าออนไลน์เป็นเว็บที่มาแรงและแลิดภัยในเรื่องชองการเล่นเกม

    Reply

  5. french bulldog puppies | french bulldog for sale | french bulldog puppy | french bulldog puppies for sale | french bulldogs near me | frenchie for sale | french bulldogs near me | merle french bulldog | lilac french bulldog | blue french bulldog | frenchie puppies | cream french bulldog | french bulldog breeders near me | brindle french bulldog
    french bulldogs for sale cheap

    Reply

  6. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you 먹튀사이트 I couldn’t think of this, but it’s amazing! I wrote several posts similar to this one, but please come and see!!
    drt

    Reply

  7. Provide a choice of fun games and provide great prizes to players.
    Let’s visit our website immediately:
    Bonanza138

    Reply

  8. pug puppies for adoption in pa

    pug puppy for sale illinois,pug puppies for sale wa,pug puppies for sale south yorkshire,pug puppies for sale near 91331,cheap pugs for sale,pug puppies for sale near me,pug puppies for sale under 500,pug for sale near me,pug puppy for sale,pug puppy,pug for sale,pug puppies for sale in pa,pugs for sale,pug puppies for sale,teacup pug puppies for sale,pug puppies for sale in oregon,pug puppies for sale in az,pug puppies for sale in va

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *