Caring for Terminally Ill Patients and their Caregivers

Even in healthcare settings, death is (understandably) really uncomfortable to talk about. Most of us don’t want to think about our own death, let alone that of our loved ones. It’s hard– but that’s what makes these conversations so important to have in advance.

End of life care can be very stressful for both patients and families. Having conversations about wishes for end of life care now can make this difficult time a little less stressful later. With the current pandemic, a lot of people aren’t even able to have their family around them, which I think we can all agree sounds even more difficult.

Care for Terminally Ill Patients

One of the most important things you can do, even if you are healthy right now, is to fill out advance directives. You can find New York’s here, and every other state’s here. These forms basically document your wishes about end of life care– what you would want in the event you can’t speak for yourself, who can make decisions about your healthcare, etc. While it can be really hard to fill these out and think about a time when they might need to be used, completing them and knowing that neither yourself or your family will be burdened with stressful decision-making is worth taking the time.

When patients are in the last few months of life, hospice is one of the options available to them. In Albany, the Community Hospice provides hospice services to patients at home, in nursing facilities, and also in St. Peter’s hospital at the Hospice Inn.

Visiting Angels is another option for in-home care, especially for people who want to remain as independent as possible. You can schedule visits and create a care plan to help with daily activities, providing company, and helping with meals and medications.

There are a couple more end of life care options that I have listed on a separate post here.

Supporting Caregivers

Caregiver burden can really affect the health of family caregivers and also patients. It’s important that caregivers get the support and relief they need when caring for a loved one– here are some resources in Albany for caregiver support, including a support group. Having been a caregiver myself, I know it can be really relieving to talk to people that have or are experiencing similar stresses.

Caregiving during a pandemic can be even more difficult– the CDC has listed some helpful tips for caregiving at this time to try and prepare for staying at home for a longer period of time. If you are caregiving for someone, it’s important to check in with yourself from time to time and recognize when you need a break. It can be really hard to ask for help, but doing it all alone also gets really overwhelming really fast. On the other hand, if you know someone that is a caregiver, make sure you take some time to ask them if they need anything (picking up medications, groceries) and what you can do to help.

While end of life care has always been a part of healthcare, I think this pandemic has increased awareness of its importance and brought it to everyone’s attention a little more. These conversations and experiences will always be difficult, but thankfully there are some resources that can help make sure patients and families receive support as they go through it.

27 thoughts on “Caring for Terminally Ill Patients and their Caregivers

1. I really appreciate you talking about how the caregiver has a huge toll on them that can even affect their own family. My cousin is trying to find new care services for her dad this month. She wants to find professional caregivers that know how to take care of themselves as well. https://qpcare.com/services-2/

Reply

2. I completely resolved my question when I read this post, thanks to the author for the very detailed description. I wrote my review on the resumesplanet.com reviews, you can go in and read. Thank you very much for your attention in your time.

Reply

3. “Thanks for your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author.The jackets that we sell are replicas of the coats worn by top television celebrities because it is a growing trend to copy them when it comes to fashion. These celebrities have really become the trendsetters. This leisure was hitherto in reach of only the rich and the rest could only dream about it. But now these classic mens brown biker real leather jacket are available for all people who want to buy them because of our affordable prices. So we welcome you to come and buy celebrity jackets of excellent quality and know more about us and our products!

Reply

4. We stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking into your web page repeatedly. 카지노사이트

Reply

5. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks! 온라인카지노

Reply

6. Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part 🙂 I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck. 스포츠토토

Reply

7. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you really realize what you’re talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also visit my website =). We can have a link change agreement between us! 토토사이트

Reply

8. Excellent web site you have here.. It’s hard to find good quality writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate individuals like you!

Thanks & Regards
    Physiotherapy Brampton

Reply

9. I’ve been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion,
    if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
    the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.
    온라인경마
    magosucowep

Reply

10. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. 일본야동닷컴

Reply

11. Very good blog post about plastering a one bed flat. I am very happy to see this post and interested to find another good post in coming days. Thanks for it 중국야동넷

Reply

12. The fact is well to know It can be difficult to ask for assistance, but going it alone can quickly become stressful. If you know somebody who is a caretaker, but at the other extreme, try to ask them if they really need anymore latest technology news 2022.

Reply