Caring for Terminally Ill Patients and their Caregivers

Even in healthcare settings, death is (understandably) really uncomfortable to talk about. Most of us don’t want to think about our own death, let alone that of our loved ones. It’s hard– but that’s what makes these conversations so important to have in advance.

End of life care can be very stressful for both patients and families. Having conversations about wishes for end of life care now can make this difficult time a little less stressful later. With the current pandemic, a lot of people aren’t even able to have their family around them, which I think we can all agree sounds even more difficult.

Care for Terminally Ill Patients

One of the most important things you can do, even if you are healthy right now, is to fill out advance directives. You can find New York’s here, and every other state’s here. These forms basically document your wishes about end of life care– what you would want in the event you can’t speak for yourself, who can make decisions about your healthcare, etc. While it can be really hard to fill these out and think about a time when they might need to be used, completing them and knowing that neither yourself or your family will be burdened with stressful decision-making is worth taking the time.

When patients are in the last few months of life, hospice is one of the options available to them. In Albany, the Community Hospice provides hospice services to patients at home, in nursing facilities, and also in St. Peter’s hospital at the Hospice Inn.

Visiting Angels is another option for in-home care, especially for people who want to remain as independent as possible. You can schedule visits and create a care plan to help with daily activities, providing company, and helping with meals and medications.

There are a couple more end of life care options that I have listed on a separate post here.

Supporting Caregivers

Caregiver burden can really affect the health of family caregivers and also patients. It’s important that caregivers get the support and relief they need when caring for a loved one– here are some resources in Albany for caregiver support, including a support group. Having been a caregiver myself, I know it can be really relieving to talk to people that have or are experiencing similar stresses.

Caregiving during a pandemic can be even more difficult– the CDC has listed some helpful tips for caregiving at this time to try and prepare for staying at home for a longer period of time. If you are caregiving for someone, it’s important to check in with yourself from time to time and recognize when you need a break. It can be really hard to ask for help, but doing it all alone also gets really overwhelming really fast. On the other hand, if you know someone that is a caregiver, make sure you take some time to ask them if they need anything (picking up medications, groceries) and what you can do to help.

While end of life care has always been a part of healthcare, I think this pandemic has increased awareness of its importance and brought it to everyone’s attention a little more. These conversations and experiences will always be difficult, but thankfully there are some resources that can help make sure patients and families receive support as they go through it.

167 thoughts on “Caring for Terminally Ill Patients and their Caregivers

1. There are some things to supplement, but I think your opinion is definitely worth considering. In some areas, innovative ideas that no one has ever come up with stand out. I would like to share more opinions with you on this topic. 먹튀사이트

2. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! http://www.jeffbrandrealestate.com

3. this is an interesting place, everyone can feel free to share useful knowledge with each other, thank you, run 3

4. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It’s so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also subway surfers

5. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this the impossible quiz

6. Students who are struggling and facing difficulties and they do not have enough time to study because of working. Take my online exam is the site where we will provide pay someone to take exam, online course and online class. We have well qualified teachers who will guide you the best and you will get Good Grades in your academic career.

7. WBCHSE Class 11th Blueprint 2023 is released by the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education. Understudies Download the WBCHSE Examination HS Exam Pattern 2023 Pdf and save it for planning the West Bengal Higher Secondary Examination. WBCHSE 1st HS Blueprint 2023 Business, Science, and Expressions Streams can use the WBCHSE HS Marking Scheme 2023. The WBCHSE Board HS Exam Pattern 2023 Class 11th Incorporates Themes to be Secured for Various Subjects and Assists in West Bengal 11th Examination.

8. french bulldog puppies | french bulldog for sale | french bulldog puppy | french bulldog puppies for sale | french bulldogs near me | frenchie for sale | french bulldogs near me | merle french bulldog | lilac french bulldog | blue french bulldog | frenchie puppies | cream french bulldog | french bulldog breeders near me | brindle french bulldog
    french bulldogs for sale cheap

9. Provide a choice of fun games and provide great prizes to players….
    Let’s visit our website immediately:
    Bonanza138

10. If this is about the trading bot, I will not be sure enough to recommend any, moreover the free trading bot. If you want to, just look for the paid trading bot that may use AI like http://ladydahmer.com/. In this case, trading bot freely will also give some weaknesses and it may be dangerous for us. Moreover if we don’t know exactly about the use and only follow the opinion and suggestions by others.

11. pug puppies for adoption in pa

pug puppy for sale illinois,pug puppies for sale wa,pug puppies for sale south yorkshire,pug puppies for sale near 91331,cheap pugs for sale,pug puppies for sale near me,pug puppies for sale under 500,pug for sale near me,pug puppy for sale,pug puppy,pug for sale,pug puppies for sale in pa,pugs for sale,pug puppies for sale,teacup pug puppies for sale,pug puppies for sale in oregon,pug puppies for sale in az,pug puppies for sale in va