Adopt an Artwork Program
The conservation of items held in the Union College Permanent Collection is an ever-present concern and part of the ongoing, professional care of the Collection. Therefore, we are very excited to share a new initiative, which the Permanent Collection is undertaking in collaboration with College Relations. We have developed the Adopt an Artwork Program as a way for our supporters to participate in the stewardship process of the College’s unique cultural treasures.
CLICK HERE for a list of artworks available for “adoption.”
- Credit as the adoptive sponsor(s) within our documentation database
and on any wall labels to accompany the display of your selected artwork(s)
- Recognition on our departmental website
- A short dossier on the work you have chosen
How to become an Adoptive Sponsor:
1. Contact Julie Lohnes, Curator of Art Collections & Exhibitions, at (518) 388-8360, to discuss what artwork or object you would like to sponsor from selected items. Options include Olivier Models, as well as the tranquil seascape with tall ships (seen to the right), by Armin Carl Hansen, among others.
2. Determine how you would like to be credited: anonymously, your name(s), or in honor of someone.
3. Send your payment with “AAWP/ Perm Coll” indicated on your check to:
Permanent Collection at Union College
807 Union Street
Schnectady, NY 12308
4. A formal acknowledgment of your tax-deductible contribution will be mailed to you for your records.
5. We will then send your dossier packet which includes:
• database record with relevant background information on the selected item
• image of the artwork in its current “before” state (color or b/w depending on what is available)
6. When the work is complete, you will be sent the following:
• treatment report of conservation performed
• an “after treatment” photograph of your cleaned, adopted artwork
7. If you would like to contribute funds to the general programming for the Permanent Collection and Exhibitions, please contact Julie Lohnes.