Posted on Aug 25, 2003

The list of retirements this year included a number of staff members:

Alice Marocco, director of gift planning: Recalling a trip to visit Jim Corbin '34 in Swansboro, N.C., she described how she and colleague Sally Webster accompanied Corbin as he drove his Jeep over the storm-washed beach. “Suddenly, Jim stopped, put the Jeep in reverse, opened the driver's door, and leaned out to pick up something that was lying on the beach. He turned and handed me a large, nearly perfect, conch shell-the most beautiful I had ever seen.” Corbin died in 1999. “I like to think that if I hold that shell to my ears, I might hear pieces of the conversations I've had over the years with Jim and the countless other wonderful Union alumni and friends I have had the privilege and the honor to know.”

Sandy Marshall
, secretary, Admissions: “I started working in West College as line server. One of the students who worked with me handing out food to the students is now handling my money.” The student has also become a financial consultant to a number of Marshall's family members. “Thanks to a Union graduate who handed out food, we are able to retire with financial security.”

Marianne Moore, secretary, political science: Recalling when she applied for her job, she described the conversations she had with the late Prof. Charlie Tidmarch and emeritus Prof. Joe Board. “To tell the truth, if it weren't for Charlie and Joe,
I don't know if I would have decided to work for Union. They both helped me through the years. It has been one of the most comfortable positions I have ever had, mainly because of those two wonderful people.”

Sandy Mosher, director of Health Services: Announcing her retirement, Dean of Students Fred Alford paid tribute to her “eternal calm and good-natured approach.” He took special note of her work “shepherding us through numerous health emergencies, not the least of which was a measles scare that required immunizing everyone on campus born after the Eisenhower administration and that called for the tactical skills of a battalion commander.”

Jeane Sinnenberg
, assistant registrar: “My most memorable moment was the first day I went to the engineering office
in Carnegie Hall [now Reamer Campus Center]. There stood Carm St. George with a wonderful smile to greet me. Of course, there have been other special moments, but this
particular one always comes to mind. Union has been a
part of my life for a very long time. I have enjoyed working with faculty, staff, and students too numerous to mention. Working in the dean's office and my tenure as assistant
registrar for twelve years has been especially challenging and rewarding.”