Posted on Jul 28, 2006

Frank Schneider '85, director of non-invasive cardiovascular imaging at Cardiovascular Associates of Rhode Island, attributes his interest in medicine to a “magical” cure to a childhood eye problem and the hope that he could help others.

He entered medical school planning to be an ophthalmologist, but found cardiology more in line with his personality. “I had a cardiologist friend, so I explored that,” he said. He became interested in the prevention of heart disease after seeing too many people become ill in the prime of their lives.

Schneider uses diagnostic imaging and non-invasive techniques to identify and fix heart problems. “As technology advances, our techniques become faster and safer,” he says. “If you can do these things with less pain and suffering, well that's the goal.”

Schneider was in medical school the first time he saw someone have a stroke from a hole in their heart, a 28-year-old woman who had delivered a baby a month before. Doctors had to operate because there was no technology to repair the problem without surgery.

Today, a patient with the same problem can be cured with a relatively simple hour-long procedure and go back to work four or five days later. “It's just much easier and safer,” he said.

“I really love what I do, and I feel privileged,” he said. “Almost every day something positive happens, whether it is using advanced imaging technology to solve a medical issue or having a positive impact on a patient's life. My greatest joy is to see a patient in my office, now healthy, recovered from their illness, and resuming their life.”

Schneider fondly remembers his days at Union. “You weren't just a number. There was a sense of community. I often ran into the same people, which allowed me to nurture friendships.” He recalls becoming friendly with President John Morris.

He says that Union's emphasis on a well-rounded curriculum allowed him to study subjects outside his major and taught him to think rather than memorize. This was in stark contrast to his first year of medical school, where students were expected to memorize everything, he added.

At Union, he headed jazz programming at WRUC, wrote for Concordiensis, and was involved with Coffeehouse and sound production for the theater.

Great friends, interesting classes, activities, all on a “beautiful campus,” are the memories Frank holds of Union. And he looks forward to returning to give a talk on his medical work.