Posted on Nov 4, 2010

Focus on First Years by Megan Dondarski '14

Members of the first-year class will feature their impressions of Union at “Focus on First Year,” a photo display set for Wednesday, Nov. 10, 12:50 p.m., in the Nott Memorial.

“Since the beginning of the term, students in the Class of 2014 have been taking pictures supporting various themes that chronicled their transition to Union,” said Kate Schurick, dean of first-year students, who developed the photojournaling idea after attending a national conference that addressed transition programs for new students.

“The programs sounded fantastic, and photography is a hobby for me, so I set out to start our own program at Union.”

Schurick and Student Activities Director Matt Milless, a photographer, created a seminar by sending invitations to the first-year class during the summer. Twenty-one students responded. 

Focus on First Years – Casey Tepper

“We created two groups, which meet on alternating weeks. Each week, students submit an image around a theme and discuss how that image represents the theme. They’ve really enjoyed the experience, and Matt and I have learned much from them.”    

The students have interpreted five themes that encapsulate the first-year experience: What I Left Behind, My First Days, Confidence/Anxiety, My Union and My Transition (or My Home Away from Home).

“It was a great experience getting to know the students in a unique way,” said Milless. “I look forward to seeing what photos they take throughout their experience here. One student told me she wants to capture the same scenes in all four seasons.”

Focus on First Years – Jigme Norbu

"'Focus on First Year' has been a great opportunity for me and my fellow classmates to get to know not only each other, but Union College through a different facet, that of the camera,” said Elana Katz ’14.

Other participating students include Azmi Ahmad, Katie Beale, Jennifer Brodsky, Emily Brower, Ari Cohen, Megan Dondarski, Cher Gordon, Katie Halper-Bogusky, Alessandra Knight, Gabriella Levine, Trevor Martin, Rachel Noall, Jigme Norbu, Olivia O’Malley, Juliet Peck, Marissa Peck, Sarah Rand, Casey Tepper, Samantha Tyler and Deanna Zembrzuski.