Greenhouse Gases and Freshwater

Over the past few centuries, or since the start of industrialization, the Earth’s climate has been changing.  A great factor in this is the “greenhouse effect”, caused by the emission of greenhouse gases into the air.  The water resources of Earth including its lakes and rivers have taken a massive hit from this.  Some of the major effects that are created due to the increase of greenhouse gases are, increased water temperatures which leads to more evaporation and creates a climate more suitable for harmful pathogens, less oxygen in the water which also kills a large portion of animals, and more algal blooms that are contributing to the lack of oxygen.  Some of these bodies of water may be beyond saving, but there is still a chance to save many.  To do this there must be a reduction of all greenhouse gases, but this will take time.  It is very interesting and scary to think about how driving your car can impact a river miles away.  One example that I have seen that could be beneficial is constructing new energy plants well below the earth’s surface, which according to the EPA, “With proper site selection and management, geologic sequestration could play a major role in reducing the net emissions of CO2”.

Works Cited:

https://cfpub.epa.gov/watertrain/pdf/modules/climate_change_module.pdf

13 thoughts on “Greenhouse Gases and Freshwater

1. this is really interesting to read about, and I like hearing about alternative solutions to energy consumption and production!

2. The effect that climate change has on Freshwater is so interesting and terrifying. Especially when we know that freshwater is such a valuable and scarce resource on our planet.

3. I liked how you talked about the effect that climate change has on algae blooms. I was also interested in how you talked about geologic sequestration of carbon dioxide, this is an interesting technology that will most likely play I big role in limiting the effects of climate change once in place.

4. Growing up on a lake, I remember when I was younger and the surface of the lake would turn green from algae blooms every couple years causing many fish and organisms to die. The link between the frequency of these blooms and climate change is very interesting. I liked how you mentioned pathogens in the article.

5. By discussing the far-reaching effects of our daily actions, such as driving a car, on distant water bodies, the author emphasizes the interconnectedness of our planet and the importance of taking collective action to mitigate climate change and protect our precious water resources. This article serves as a call to awareness and encourages readers to consider the long-term impact of their choices on the environment.

khalidelarbi———-business for sale

6. Your writing style is so captivating, and I always look forward to reading your latest posts. Keep up the excellent work!