Water Usage and Utilization

Water is a necessity for us humans along with planet Earth. Humans can go much longer without food as they can without water. It is interesting to think that a lot of the food that we consume could not possibly be produced without water. For example, think of crops that need water into order to grow. Or, all of the water that livestock drinks that we eventually consume such as pigs. This idea alone shows how important water is in its comparison to food consumption.

Consider the following, “There is the same amount of water on Earth as there was when the Earth was formed” (epa.gov). Furthermore, “Nearly 97% of the world’s water is salty or otherwise undrinkable. Another 2% is locked in ice caps and glaciers. That leaves just 1% for all of humanity’s needs — all its agricultural, residential, manufacturing, community, and personal needs” (epa.gov). This idea is really hard for me to wrap my head around. I think about how much water I myself personally use on the daily. Then, I think about how many humans are on this Earth and how much water is used for humanity’s needs by the whole planet. This alone proves how much water is on this Earth. I find this fact so interesting seeing how human production as well as global warming has affected our water usage. In my opinion, bottled water is so popular because of the convenience of it. Consider, reusable water bottles have to be constantly washed and sometimes they are a bit pricey. Bottled water is convenient as once you finish the water, you can just throw away or recycle the bottle. If I had to estimate the bottle water consumption on Union College’s campus, I would estimate that around 50% of Union’s students drink bottled water opposed to water from the tap. Furthermore, I would average that of the 50% of bottled water drinkers, they drink at least 2 bottles of water a day. Based on Union College’s enrollment being around 2,300 students, 65% of that is 1150, multiplying that by 2, my estimate is that Union College consumes around 2,300 bottles of water per day.

Work Cited: https://www3.epa.gov/safewater/kids/waterfactsoflife.html

10 thoughts on “Water Usage and Utilization

1. I feel that the rough estimate for how many Union students consume plastic water bottles is pretty accurate. Imagine converting that to an average Union school year since we spend our time on campus for 30 out of 52 weeks in a year. I can’t imagine how high that number would be.

2. I find it pretty interesting that you made the connection between the water available to the water we need to use to make food and to the water that we need to drink. This connection really puts the idea into perspective. The estimate that you made about Union’s consumption of water bottles is mind-blowing that we go through that many water bottles a day and only 10% actually get recycled.

3. I’ve tried several other streaming services in the past, but none of them compare to this one https://volumo.com/ . The selection of music, audiobooks, and podcasts is unparalleled, and I love how seamlessly everything works together. The ability to create custom playlists and save my favorite content for offline listening is also a huge plus. Overall, I highly recommend this streaming service to anyone who loves high-quality audio content.

4. Hi! Recently I used the services of a very useful https://www.personalstatementwriter.org/best-computer-science-personal-statement-examples/ service that helped me with writing a personal statement in the field of scientific informatics. Because I’m not a very creative person for me it was a difficulty. However, with this service, my life has become easier. After all, in a short period of time I was able to get a ready-made statement, which was distinguished by structured text and did not contain plagiarism. I am grateful to the writers of this service.

5. Overall, this article effectively raises awareness about the importance of water, its scarcity, and the environmental consequences of our consumption habits. The inclusion of personal reflections, factual information, and local examples makes this article both informative and thought-provoking.
    khalidelarbi———-business for sale

6. Community Giveaways and Contests: Many NFT https://chainers.io/free-nfts projects, artists, or platforms host giveaways, contests, or promotions where they offer free NFTs as prizes. Participating in these community events can be a fun way to potentially win or receive free NFTs.

7. Immerse yourself in the exciting world of gаmbling with wild tornado cаsino australia, a popular choice among players from Australia. The cаsino offers you not only the opportunity to win big, but also a unique experience that will stay with you for years to come. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced player, there’s something for everyone. Play cards, slоts, roulette and other games to have an incredible time.