Employment Rates in 2000-2005

I looked at data concerning the employment rates of single mothers vs. married mothers in 2000-2005. Unsurprisingly, the data showed that single mothers were challenged in the job market. In 2001-2003, both single and married parents employment rates dropped due to the recession. Afterwards, married parents employment rate increased but the single mothers did not. This is an issue we as a society must deal with because single mothers often do not have the same resources as married parents.

5 thoughts on “Employment Rates in 2000-2005

1. I think the government needs to put forth new plans on how to support single parents in the work force. Your chart only goes to 2005, I am curious as to how it has changed in the past 10 years. Do you think the government is doing a better job or do you think the bar graph would show an even more drastic difference?

• I definitely think there would have been changes if the data had gone up to the current year. I do not think the difference would be so drastic, but supporting single parents in the workforce is still a very important issue for sure.

2. This is a really interesting post, and slightly concerning. One reason I can think of for the difference in employment rates is that single mothers have to take care of their kids and may not have time to work in addition to that, and that married parents share the caregiving responsibilities, thus there is also more time for them to each work.

3. Is it possible that single mothers are challenged in the job market due challenging aspects of scheduling care/ school for their child and attending work during the day?Also, is it legal for a job to ask you if you are a single parent? I feel like it may be against the law to ask that in 2018. But definitely agree that single mothers should be able to participate in the work force no different than other adults!

4. I think this is an interesting graph, and it makes me wonder the specific factors that hold back single parents, and I would love to explore the topic more in regards to the gender identity of the single parent and if that would effect the data. Also, in many countries in the Netherlands that are socialist, or democratic socialist, they offer free child care to working parents. Maybe we should model our government off of more socialist countries.