Unilever’s Sustainability Report

The huge corporation, Unilever, whose company mission statement states, “We meet everyday needs for nutrition, hygiene and personal car with brands that help people feel good, look good and get more out of life” started a sustainability campaign in 2010 due to increased distaste from the public with regard to Unilever products.  Every year the company conducts a “Sustainable Living Plan” progress report and in the first year of the campaign the company’s greenhouse gas intensity fell 16% from 118.31 to 99.97 kg per metric ton of production, as seen in the pie chart.  According to this chart which was included in the progress report the highest amount of greenhouse gas emission comes from customer use of soaps, shampoos and shower gels.  As of 2018 the company has set a target to double its business while halving the environmental footprint of its products across the value chain, and sourcing 100% of agricultural raw materials sustainably, all by 2020.  This goal was set in 2010 so the 2020 goal seemed lightyears away but with 2020 right around the corner, data analysts have criticized Unilever for not providing the whole picture with regard to their sustainability progress.  Specifically in the 2011-2012 progress report there was no data to back up this chart, there was only the chart.  On the Unilever website, the company claims that that it is on-plan for every individual sustainable sourcing target thus far.  I suppose we’ll find out in two years.

4 thoughts on “Unilever’s Sustainability Report

1. I think that it is great that companies across the nation are taking steps to reduce their carbon footprint. I think that it will work for their business in a positive way, considering that most people are finally starting to realize how important it is to create a sustainable environment for ourselves in the present day, and for future generations. Additionally, I find it interesting that the highest amount of greenhouse gas emissions comes from use of soaps, shampoos, and shower gels. I’m surprised that it isn’t tea/beverages. Regardless, the idea behind Unilever’s sustainable mission is a goal more companies should strive for.

2. It is so great to see that companies are finally beginning to reduce their carbon output and it was brilliant to start a sustainability campaign in 2010. These new tactics I believe will have a positive impact on the companies revenue and the availability of their goals makes it clear that they have a serious plan to improve our air. I also found it surprising that soap and shower gel provides such a significant greenhouse gas footprint, but it will be interesting to see what their numbers look like when their new report comes out in 2020.

3. I’m not surprised by the top three largest greenhouse gas emission products because they are daily necessities for those who are have the luxury and resources to maintain cleanliness and upkeep hygiene. Realistically speaking though, the majority of these top these commodities have so many chemicals its unbelievable. Apart from Unilever, all of the shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent, etc. products that are sold are not the best for environment so how are they any better for us?

4. I think it’s great that companies like Unilever are taking steps to reduce their carbon footprint, as corporations emit a lot more greenhouse gases than the average household. However, if these products are so terrible for the environment, how do we really know they are good for us? I hope Unilever continues to take steps towards producing their products more environmentally friendly, and hopefully we will find out they have been in 2 years.